In general, property and debt orders in a Decree of Dissolution may not be modified after the case is finalized. Child support and maintenance may be modified until the order expires. Parenting Plans may only be modified by agreement, or after a special hearing to show that you have met the minimum threshold for a minor or major modification.


RCW 26.09.170(1) provides in part: “The provisions as to property disposition may not be revoked or modified, unless the court finds the existence of conditions that justify the reopening of a judgment under the laws of this state.” As a practical matter, this means fraud, lack of jurisdiction or some other serious matter under Court Rule 60(b).

It is difficult and rare to reopen the property distribution. If you feel strongly that the property award needs to be changed, you would be well advised to seek the advice of an attorney.